Friday, March 15, 2013

Dirty Girl Mud Run

What a mess this was, and I never even got muddy!!!!

I signed up back in November 2012 for a Dirty Girl Mud Run that was to be held in Birmingham.  It was a group thing. Some of my High School Friends were signing up and I joined in.  We were the Mud Bunnies.

A few weeks before the actual race which was scheduled for March 9th, They finally posted the location of the race.  All we knew up until this point was that it was in Birmingham.

The race was NOT in Birmingham!!!! They posted Talladega Super Speedway as the location.  That is an hour drive from Birmingham! Which means it is 2 to 2.5 hour drive from me.  I wouldn't have minded AS much if I didn't have my daughter's All-State Concert in Birmingham that same day!  I wasn't worried about the concert as it was at 1 pm  and the mud run we signed up for was at 8 am and my Mom and Dad both live in B'ham so I could have easily showered at one of their houses (whichever was closest to the venues) and made it to the concert fine.  But, it being in freaking TALLADEGA and not B'ham made this task much more complicated and I decided it being my daughter's last All-State that I absolutely could NOT miss it, and I wouldn't have a good time at the race worrying about the drive time and such so I said there was no way I could pull both events off.

I was pretty pissed because Dirty Girl Folks said I couldn't get a refund even though they had falsely listed the city in which the even was to be held. I paid 65 back in November to do this race and I didn't want my money to go to waste.  They said I could transfer to another race.  So after a lot of thought I decided to move my race to the next week (St' Patrick's Day weekend) in Memphis.  They charged me $20 more dollars for this because now signing up for a race 3 weeks until the date the fee is higher, so it doesn't matter that I originally signed up back in November and due to their poor organization making me change my race I still had to spend more money!

I thought since the mud run was in Memphis now and we are driving longer, but thankfully no other plans to interfere with the weekend why not get a room and stay the night in Memphis.  I made my race time for 11 am so I wouldn't be rushed getting down there that morning and Thomas and I could enjoy a night on Beale Street for the St. Patty's Day celebration there.  So I booked us a room $150 more dollars.

It was to be a marvelous weekend with my man full of travel, drinks, mud, and fun.  I had been looking forward to it since I signed up and I looked past the mishap that Dirty Girl had caused me.

Friday March 15th, I got a call from work that someone had broken into my house... luckily they didn't steal anything because my son was home sick with the flu, and he scared them.  And very thankfully he was not injured!  But, having this happen and feeling as if those thugs were going to come back, I couldn't leave my home empty to go out of town for fun knowing that I could be robbed blind while I was away so I wound up staying for ADT to come and install a system, which they worked fast and got here at 8am on Saturday morning.  But, we didn't go to Memphis.

Sooooooooooo I still lost my money for the race and now can't even transfer it to another one because it was 24 hours before race day they will not allow another transfer.  So I lost 80 bucks on that race.  Good note? The hotel was nice enough to refund my $150 for the room even though it was less than 24 hours until my check in, they understood my situation and refunded me!  On another note though we spend $550 dollars that we didn't intend on spending on home security this weekend.  But the piece of mind is worth it, and it was a lot less than if they stole our valuables from our home.

So, The mud Run was a no go for me.  I don't think I will ever get to do an obstacle course because they are so expensive and it took me forever to finally sign up for one because I don't want to pay that much money and participate in it ALONE.  I wanted to do it with a group, I almost had to do this one alone and that was the only thing that I wasn't looking forward to. I think these obstacle courses are going to be much more fun with a group of friends who you love and enjoy the laughs along the way.  Maybe the Warrior Dash sometime? But with the pay cut I have taken this year I really doubt that I will be spending that kind of money to do a for fun obstacle course... because I have duathlons and triathlons I would like to do and I already don't know how I will pay for them.  One day at a time! But it still ERKS me that I lost 80 bucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment